View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
You have to take note of some things though. First of all, this idea is only a theory based on a single experiment. As is also mentioned in the article, pheromones havent been shown in humans and might not exist.
Thanks so much. I know the idea of human pheromones affecting people are probably bunk, but that's why I write fiction So I went from the article to Wikipedia entries and I think I've put together a halfway workable idea:

Humans produce androstenone but are too insensitive to smell it. Most adult humans produce something resembling the vomeronasal organ, but there's no actual function. Plus we lack the sensory cells that other animals have to detect pheromones beyond a stinky smell, we don't have the genetic ability to produce those cells.

So if prenatal exposure to something were to cause a mutation that resulted in a working vomeronasal organ, humans would be attracted by pheromones. Then for the "fated love" angle, there's some hyperosmia toward specific people, and when you meet "the one," it kicks in just toward that person and their pheromones become overwhelming. At that point, the person experiences anosmia toward the pheromones of anyone that's not their mate, which means they have no libido toward them. Otherwise, normal sense of smell remains.

Wow, this one article has spawned like three ideas in my brain
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote