View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #55
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, I'm going to have to give up before I've really started. I spent three hours and am not through the "A" authors.
Yip, it did sound like a pretty overwhelming task...
Getting the Patricia Clark library 100% life+70 compliant sounds like an impossible dream. However, as long as Alex can show that a reasonable, good-faith effort has been made to purge non-compliant books, and that valid requests to remove non-compliant books are promptly fulfilled, I believe the legalities should be O.K. The tricky bit is, of course, what constitutes "reasonable effort", but removing all authors who died <70 years ago is a very good start, and (IMHO,IANAL,etc) probably sufficient.

I did make a start on a relational database for the library a couple of months ago. It is not complete – to make the task manageable a limited myself to epub and mobi books – but at least there is a pretty comprehensive list of authors therein, with some of the duplicates removed. A fun task would be to make an automated wikipedia query for each authors lifespan...

Edit: a better method: Edit: Something like this, for example, for UN*X/cygwin:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
a=${1// /%20}
echo -n $1": "
echo -e $(curl -s "http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?format=json&action=query&titles=$a&prop=revisions&rvprop=content") | grep -o "\(may refer to:\|^| *DATE OF DEATH *=.*\|^| *name *=.*\|^|.*=.*[Dd]eath date.*\|\"missing\":\"\"\\|\"pageid\": *[0-9]\+\)" |sed 's/.*": * //'|xargs
Save in a file, e.g. when_croaked, make executable, and type for example
Code:
./when_croaked "Conan Doyle"
Rather messy output, but at least it gives an indication if a page actually exists, e.g. a disambiguation page, if it doesn't actually give the death date.
Of course, this is by no means a fool-proof method, but if the answer to a query is after 1942, the author in question should be looked at more closely.

Last edited by SBT; 05-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote