View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Just to clarify, Pixel Qi screen tech is an LCD, but tweaked a little so that instead of using a backlight to fight ambient lighting, it has reflective layers that utilize ambient light to make the screen readable. In epaper mode (not really related to eink in terms of mechanics), the backlight goes off entirely. It's an awesome technology.

e-ink screens are very expensive compared to LCD. They also force devices to serve a single purpose, because the painfully slow refresh times of eink makes it poorly suited to many types of applications, including video and many types of games.

The number of hours listed in the article doesn't make a lot of sense. I recommend ignoring that part. Engadget has some good writers, but not all of them know what they're talking about. He appears to have gotten confused there.

The brilliance of a PixelQi device running on a decent OS (mobile or otherwise), is that you wouldn't be tied to just reading books from one store. Right now, AFAIK the only big commercial reader that supports Android is eReader (ereader.com/fictionwise, currently owned by B&N). I'd expect however that Amazon and B&N would both be eying Android as their next platform for expanding kindleware/nookware.

This is the most exciting ereader I've seen yet. There's no way I'd tie myself down to one major store with their proprietary hardware/software. And while it's nice that the nook runs Android and can be hacked to run unofficial applications, starting out with an open platform that doesn't need to be hacked is a dramatically better solution. To wit, one that is a full blown tablet with access to all manner of application types, rather than doing solo duty as an ereader.
I agree. I was really hoping for some decent alternative e-paper action (particularly LiquavistaBright as they can get a much better white reflectance than EPD/E-Ink), but so far, a prototype of an imperfect but interesting tablet is the best news I've seen so far from CES.

Also agree about the battery life. I don't recall Pixel Qi actively boasting about multiplying battery life anywhere near that much, nor have I heard of any standard 40-hour Tegra tablets. It's probably a mixup of several pieces of confused information, marketing, and hype.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote