View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly View Post
I've recently finished The Casual Vacancy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that it depends on the culture that you've been exposed to the most throughout your life as to what you're going to take away from it: for me, the culture shown in The Casual Vacancy was an extremely realistic one. I think that as a first attempt at writing adult/general fiction, Rowling has done a bang-up job. I'll certainly be buying her next book, and I'll be happy to pay $25 again.
Those are my exact feelings. What I liked about it was its realism, even though the characters weren't exactly likable. I have to admit though that I liked the Weedon children, both of them. Maybe I am just weird, but I have a tendency to go for the outsiders.

I also agree that it depends on the culture that you've been exposed to. The way Rowling dissected life in a small rural town in England was spot on. You don't have to like it, but if you don't, it doesn't mean it's a bad book. Tastes differ widely and I think it was well written. But that's just my humble opinion, of course.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote