View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #616
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
How are duplicate icons on a UI screen not an error? How is the keyboard obscuring a text field not a UI error? Can you answer that specifically?

There is no patent for errorless UI screens, legible type, or uncluttered space. Oh, unless you're Apple and you think you can get away with patenting anything under the sun.

And I never said that Samsung "was only correcting errors." Read again. I said that in those first 10 instances in the document, two were corrections of errors, and another 4 were increasing legibility or uncluttering screen space. And that therefore based on those first 10 examples, you mischaracterized the nature of the document.

Nope. Their true intentions were just as stated in the document. To fix errors and improve the UI but to try avoid infringing on Apple. It didn't work because their efforts collided with an out of control U.S. patent system and a jury run amok!
An error compared to what golden standard? Which examination board created the smartphone test and handed out multiple choice tests with right and wrong answers to UI design? The only correct standard recognized by Samsung was Apple. By describing these imitation as error fixes, you implicitly acknowledge that Apple created the standard of what is right and wrong. Fixing errors, de-cluttering screen space, and improving legibility in this context are just other ways of saying copying Apple. I hear this amusing phrase "common sense" from you and your companion over and over, but have yet to read an explanation of why such common sense features were not implemented by Samsung to begin with. Why did Samsung need to compare their bad UI to Apple's good UI to learn common sense? Does common sense work differently in Korea, I wonder?

They are in fact, just poor design choices. Samsung clearly has (or at least, had) very poor designers. So poor that the overwhelming superiority of iOS prompted them to recommend they redesign nearly every aspect of their TouchWiz operating system to more closely resemble Apple's. That is what imitators and knock-off brands do. The only objective error it is possible for such a company to commit is to not imitate enough. Everything else is relative to who is being imitated.

Quote:
No. The second one clearly isn't. There very well may be others that are, so be my guest if you want to keep exercising your formidable copy and paste skills. That won't change the fact that the contacts icon is very different.
Heh, an icon which changes from a phone handset to a silhouette of a man, exactly like Apple's, clearly isn't a copy? How do you even take yourself seriously?

Samsung Before:

Apple:

Samsung After:

What an amazing coincidence.

Shrug. At some point I have to recognize that it's not possible to have a discussion with someone who is not willing to admit what's obvious. Ten pages of these sorts of defences could only come from individuals with infinite free time and finite capacity for honesty. What I don't understand—and will never understand—is why you go to such lengths to contort yourselves into such self-evident misrepresentations of reality. What is the source of your fanatical loyalty to Samsung? Did Samsung take care of the family pet the last time you went on vacation? Did Samsung jumpstart your car during a snowstorm? How do (presumably) thinking individuals come to identify so completely with a company? Marketers the world over would like to know.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.