View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if I donated money to the local library to be used for eBooks, I'd want to be able to tell the librarian what eBooks I want purchased with the money.
Librarians probably want to have a say in what goes on the shelves. As much as I would like to influence circulating content as well, librarians are hired and trained to shape the collection based on community standards, interests and needs. So, I understand why they may insist on final say. If you donate physical books to a library, some may make it to the shelves; others will be tossed in a sale bin for fund raising.

That's why I am floating the "bundle of books" sponsorship idea. The library could choose a batch of ten titles, in various genres, and invite folks to donate specifically for this batch or that. That gives you the patron some direct influence without removing the role of librarian as final arbiter of content.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote