View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n@meless1 View Post
Thx for yours exhaustive answers

The problem is that I cannot afford (as a poor university student) to make a wrong purchase.
Unfortunately the cost of these wonderful devices is far from cheap, so I have to be sure I will be totally satisfied with my choice.

I do not want to see a new generation ebook in the next 3-4 months, fo example^^

Let's express my doubts, then..
Take a look at this nice comparative summary:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
..and let's choose the cybook gen3 as my main objective.

1) Display dimensions: 9cm by 12cm..What the..? If I take now my ruler and measure the size of my paper books pages I notice this:
- Book with the hardback format: 14.5*22.5 cm
- Book with the paperback format: 12.5*20 cm

As you can see the difference is huge and I find a bit strange no one is complaining about it..how can I consider it as a classic book replacement when it cannot even reach a paperback book sizes?

I hate it but I think I will have to wait until that fundamental requirement will be fulfilled

Bringing forward my cybook analysis I notice one other flaw: it cannot read the rtf format.
In the other aspects I see a pretty standard display specs: 6-inch SVGA, 800x600, 4 grey scales, 166.7 ppi (and I hope these are good enough to read easily..?..), a really good weight, and a good "library database" that shows drew covers and a little book description (unfortunately without a plot summary or a "subdirectory system", it seems)..

All things considered a really good choice for my ideal ebook, if not for the totally wrong dimensions and some lacunae

Damn, I hate to wait..

PS: what the hell are you talking about? Hands? O_O..that beauty will probably be a model or something similar, and if you had been there I can bet those hands would have been the last thing you'd have noticed
I would suggest you try to find a shop that actually sells these gadgets and see for yourself. You are right, they are expensive and you sure don't want to be make a wrong decision.
Don't worry about resolution, it's very readable. Also, I don't think that RTF support is an issue - just convert the files to Mobipocket format.
Screen size is also not an issue unless you are reading PDF docs. Other formats reflow text dynamically.

Another good suggestion for you would be not to do anything for a while. There seem to be a fair few eInk devices coming to the marked in the months to come, and from what I'm reading in the news, prices should be coming down too.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote