View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbock View Post
I own Sony 505 since 1 year, at that time have weighed out I whether I should buy Sony or iRex.
If one compares now Sony 505 to all his advantages with the Kindle in what you see the engraving ones would make a distinction and why you judged the Kindle in your ranking before Sony 505?
Kindle:
Pros:
- Amazon webshop. By far the biggest collection and usually the lowest prices.
- "on the fly" dictionary. I mark any word via the "jogdial" and -directly in the "footnote"- can see the definition. Unfortunately, no bilingual dictionary, just English-English. iRex even has a better dictionary support via tablet functionality, whereas Sony doesn't have any dictionary at all.
- Speed: I didn't actually take any measures. But turning pages and jumping forward seems faster on Kindle. I've read somewhere, it's a "2nd generation eInk with new and improved processor"....
- iPhone app (for free!!!). I can read all the books, purchased from Amazon, without any additional costs, on iPhone and iPod touch. With Whispernet, they even would be in sync.
- File format. I wouldn't dare, actually ranking the quality of file formats. But for the Kindle, it's basically Mobipocket. There are some interesting "tricks" for almost all file formats - with the exception of Sony's proprietary format.
UPDATE: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...652#post536652
Just have been able to add multilingual dictionary English-German. GREAT!
Cons:
- Design. The Kindle 1 was fugly. Kindle 2 and Kindle DX are okay but still far from perfect. Whereas Sony simply is elegant and cool. (At least, that's for Sony 505. Sony 700 severely is harmed by the display quality.)
- Menu structure. No folders. No "manual intervention", just standard sorting by author, title, ....
In addition: I can't use Whispernet (my problem, but still...), so my Kindle's internal clock dates 1970. Meaning, all my reads are put LAST in the reading list.
- Cover. There's no cover included, neither with Kindle 2 nor Kindle DX. For the moment, I don't have any cover for the DX yet, so I wouldn't know how to transport it when traveling.

Sony:
Pros:
- Design. The Sony 505 more or less is "perfect", elegant and efficient.
- Menu structure. No folders, but I can generate "collections" via Sony's PC software. So I can "manually intervene" and sort by genre, webshop, format, ...
- Cover. Included and with its magnets quite functional.
Cons:
- I have to install the Sony library software for most of the features. With Kindle, I just purchase via the Amazon website. Not to mention Whispernet...
- No dictionary support at all, not even on the Sony 700 (which has touchscreen, similar to the iRex iLiad).
- File format. It's a proprietary format, solely used on the Sony readers.

Conclusion:
Sony 505 is a phantastic unit, which I still heavily use. But I don't like the reflow in .pdf or .epub (prefer the zooming in iRex iLiad) and can't really "work" the proprietary .lrx format. In addition, Sony's webshop usually is more expensive and clearly has less books to offer.
BUT: Sony 505 still is within my top 3!
Without the Amazon webshop, Kindle actually only would be mediocre, probably ranking equal to Cybook.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Additional info.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote