View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #131
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
I've finished the first draft of my book! 88,500 pages approximately. Now to go back and edit, edit, edit. I think I enjoy editing; it's a challenge to find the correct word to make a paragraph come off right, but it's so rewarding when you do.
HI all,

I thought I got through the first draft but then savaged and re-ordered my first chapter - I just thought it wasn't working as well as it should. Originally, I set a goal of (an arbitrary) 120k words, but I'm at 150k now.

For 2012, I wanted to be finished by Christmas, but I knew that wasn't going to happen; for 2013 I want to finish by the end of June and get a fair way into #2.

Most of #1 seems to work fairly well (chapter 1 notwithstanding) and now needs second draft where I plan to add "colour" and detail, check the voices of the different characters. I guess I'll add another 5k words during this.

Then the editing comes in - I personally find this a bit excruciating, unlike mbelec - where I need to check and recheck against rules of grammar, my punctuation, and so forth.

I have the luxury of being able to do this on a part-time basis during the day, so I think I just might have a realistic goal.

Assuming of course, that I can actually admit to myself that the work is "finished."

Cheers,

Michael P