View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Buying an Ebook: In the real world

Ok My dad 60+ has a Cool-ER reader and so does my Mum, I have a sony 300 and my wife has a 505.

My dad still needs help buying Ebooks let me explain why using a recent example.

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson - Hardback £7.01 from amazon.co.uk(free shipping)

So first of all we use ebooks.addall.com to search the various shops, I check all of the UK shops and BooksonboardUSA(as they are cheaper and some books are available) and Sony USA (as i have store credit there I buy when on holiday)

so here are the results of that search-

1 Witch & Wizard £ 6.23 Books OnBoard Epub
2 Witch & Wizard £ 6.23 Books OnBoard Epub / Audio Book MP3 / Audio Book WMA
3 Witch & Wizard £ 6.24 Sony eBooks Epub
4 Witch & Wizard £ 7.80 Waterstones UK Epub
5 Witch & Wizard £ 9.10 Whsmith UK Epub
6 Witch & Wizard £ 10.37 Books OnBoard UKEpub
7 Witch & Wizard £ 11.69 Rbooks UK Epub

So the first three are all cheaper than the hardback, however they are all US based and involve hoops(to be explained).
ALL of the UK based shops charge more for the ebook than Amazon do for the hardback!

so lets go for cheapest BoB US but wait "That title is not allowed for sale within your country." ok fine I kind of expected that. But I have to check because eg James rollins - Amazonia was available in my country and cheaper.

So for every book I have to go to BoB and log in and try and buy the book to see if I can or not! simples...

So now I have to decide if using my Sony dollars in the account is a worthwhile purchase and I decide I have $100 in there and am back in the US in May so why not.

So I purchase for him from Sony store and download it then have to open Adobe software and load the book into that to then import the downloaded book into adobe then via that into the Cool-ER.

job done one book purchased and £1.56 saved, unless i compare it to the Hardback price in which case i just saved £0.76 ... hmm

I love my Ereaders as do my family, but they need to make buying books better.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote