View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #42
Alan (PF95)
Ignorant Newbie
Alan (PF95) began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Copy #2, yup you want that copy in the library presumably, else why have a library.

Welcome to MR!
(And I think you spelled "ignorant" wrong in your profile. )

ApK
Aaarg - spelling. (fixed)
Ok, I've read some Calibre FAQ's and I'm slightly less ignorant.

For the price, it's hard to complain - yet bot Calibre and iTunes have a philosophy I don't share. Namely, putting copies in specific locations.

In fact, iTunes is better in this regard (gasp) in that, when you add a folder to the library, importing the actual files is an OPTION. I mention this because my original books are filed by topic. (A fellow named Dewey had a similar system.)

Under my system, Java programming books are grouped together. Same with the sci-fi novels of Heinlein and Asimov, or the modern comedy of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Creatings groups like this is not even an option in Calibre itself, let alone filing the books in this manner. It's author, or find another program.

You want a big database of book data? Fine. You want to keep Converted copies somewhere? That's good too. I'll just softly mention the product I think does it right - or better than iTunes, anyway: Media Monkey.

It only handles audio, but it handles it very well.
Alan (PF95) is offline   Reply With Quote