View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoveninet View Post
Well, solved in all kindle formats as follows in all your files:
    You can employ css but beware of "!important" css attribute.
    ex:
    a:link {
    color: black; /* same color as the surrounding text */
    text-decoration: none !important; /* to remove the underline */
    cursor: text; /* to make the cursor stay as a text cursor, not the hand */
    }

a:visited {
    }

a:active {
    }

a:hover {
    }
    a {

}
    a[href] {
    color: black;
    text-decoration: none !important;
    }
    In your html <a href="xxxXXXxxx" you have to set a style to text-decoration=none with the important tag and mobi <mbp:nu> special tag too.
    Ex.
    <p class="ctHeader">
    <a style="text-decoration: none !important;" href="toc.htm#toc_chap_01" name="ch01"><mbp:nu>Chapter 1</mbp:nu></a></p>

ctHeader css class has the css attrib text-decoration: none !important;
Explained:
Html css class with links works fine in all existing navigators, but when compiled in Kindle, you have to manually indicate the link you want to apply the none text-decoration attribute, and force it with important. This seems to work fine in kindle 1.0 and kindle 2.0 but not for kf8 format latest kindle readers :
fire, fire hd, paperwhite and so on, that's why you need a combination with <mbp:nu></mbp:nu> mobi tag. This will result in xhtml validation errors but your kindle now won't be visible the link tag.

Hope it works for you as it did for me!

Regards to all and keep the good work!!!!!!!!!
Well, I have two comments.
  1. Setting text color to black guarantees returns from Amazon (assuming that the book sells and people read it); both from readers, and, eventually, a nastygram from Amazon saying that they've taken your book down, as it isn't readable in Night Mode, because you set the text color to black, not automatic, so when Night Mode is chosen, absolutely NONE of your links will be visible, at all, and,
  2. I, for one, don't understand how/why on earth anyone would de-underline links meant to go to a glossary, index, or footnotes. While I can understand why some people dislike the underlining on the TOC, removing them from all other links seems utterly counterintuitive. How will your readers know that the word in the body text has a link, to click? By Telepathy? And if you have users who are not expecting links, why would they look for them? Is the expectation that they'll somehow see the pointing hand on the word, through inadvertence? Or as if the cursor reads word-by-word, which it doesn't?

I don't mean to sound snarky, but I had this situation with a client recently, with some 700+ footnotes in his book. He loathed the dreaded "blue" links in his book, which had a color scheme. I said, sure, fine, we can change it to black, as long as you understand that in Night Mode, no one will be able to see them. That was the end of that discussion. We had another client who also wanted some several hundred glossary items linked, from the first occurrence of each word, to the glossary. He then had a cow over the underscores. I asked him: how will your readers know to click the word? What possible clue is provided that the word is a link? That discussion was also over with rather quickly.

FWIW, I have found, over the course of some 2K books, that readers do NOT know that the TOC items are linked when they are NOT underlined. I've seen complaints from readers in reviews about "not linked TOC's," when the old prc (mobipocket) tags were used, and the TOC entries WERE linked...but the readers couldn't tell that they were. People are accustomed to seeing underscores under links.

Lastly, if By 2, in your post, I understand that the idea is that each anchor link has to have inline CSS...thanks, but I think I'll stick with either underscores, or find a different way. That feels as though it's fallback coding for K7, not for K8, and the problem is, if you put it inline, then you're overriding the CSS for the K8 files. Not to mention, I'm a firm believer in not using inline CSS unless there's simply no other alternative. {shrug}

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote