View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
April Hamilton
Fully Caffeinated
April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Modified ePods
Moz -

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
As far as file sharing goes, don't worry about it. Focus on making it easy for us to give you money. You can't stop sharing, even if you only sell physical books printed in purple ink on green paper with red hashing to make them hard to scan.
I'm anti-DRM and feel once someone has bought a copy of anything, it's theirs to do with what they please, including sending it on to someone else for use when they're done with it. I also accept that once someone buys a digital file from me, I can't stop them from making unlimited copies to hand out for free or even re-sell, either. I think the great majority of people are honest and would stop short of doing those things. However, there are internet trolls out there who think all digital media should be free and therefore gladly post links for order fulfillment pages or server-resident files in their various usergroups, chat rooms and online communities (fancying themselves cyber-Robin Hoods, I guess) so anyone who sees the link can get the product without paying. Surely, many people here have come across sites like I'm describing while googling for ebook sites? That kind of link-sharing is a far cry from lending or giving away a book, CD, DVD or ebook you've purchased and are now ready to pass on.

Jon - as to the password-protected page idea, trolls can just post the password right along with the link. I've been experimenting w/ various autoresponders, but it seems that unless I'm willing to run a dedicated mail server here at my house or pay monthly to rent space on someone else's dedicated mail server, it's not feasible. Given that I don't expect volume to be very high, it's probably cheaper for me to buy a wireless card for my PocketPC to keep on top of orders when I'm away from home than to pay monthly fees for autoresponder capability.
April Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote