View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm not sure I see the analogy. To play a DVD, you still need a DVD player that knows how to unlock the content. To play a Kindle file, you need a Kindle that knows how to unlock the content. If the world stops making DVD players (8 tracks, anyone?) or Kindles, current content can't be played. Unlike the other examples you cited -- defunct music stores for example -- the server interaction was required every time you used the files; e-books aren't like that. (At least, that's my understanding.)

We can agree to disagree, however, on my main point which was should Adobe or Amazon go out of business, my belief is current content will be transferable some way -- like Samna or Ami Pro files. And the main thing is to enjoy the content in the medium term, optimised for the reader of your choice which delivers the best e-reading experience and value today.
No, it will not be transferable some way, not if you need a DRM server.

Didn't you hear about the WalMart music files? They shut down their DRM servers, and suddenly all the music files that the customers paid money for became worthless.
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/26...tting-dow.html
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote