View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
1. If there is any italic text withing the paragraph below, as I scroll across to the correct ending point of the paragraph, the cursor can randomly jump to the italic text and then jump back to where it should be and then continues on the line. This wouldn't caus me too much of a problem except for the fact that the page will suddenly jump and scoll as much as a full screen of text and then jump back. This gets very disorienting.

2. The larger the paragraph the slower it takes to scroll. I press and hold the left of right scroll button and the cursor moves just one place. I leave my finger on the cursor key and the cursor doesn't move, except that when I take my finger off, the cursor jumps several characters. This makes it difficult to tell where the cursor actually is.

Are these things worth raising as an issue or are these an issue with Qt?
Ok, so for your first problem...

You're editing in Book View, right? Then the problem is with WebKit which Qt integrates. To tell you the truth, WebKit is starting to piss me off as much as HTML Tidy (and Tidy has pissed me off a truly great deal). While I can usually beat Tidy into submission by diving into its source code and fixing things, I can't really do this with WebKit.

Doing it for WebKit would mean diverging from the vanilla Qt distributed by Nokia, and that's not something I'm eager to do. It would mean the default Qt libs for Linux systems would no longer apply and people would have to download and compile this custom Qt version if they wanted to compile Sigil directly. Did I mention it takes ~4 hours to compile Qt? And working on the Apple upstream version of WebKit is pointless since Nokia updates their port every six months.

Then there's the elephant in the room: WebKit's huge. It's a whole browser engine, used in Safari and Chrome and a multitude of other applications. Hundreds of thousands of lines of code. Just familiarizing myself with the internal architecture would probably take a couple of months.

So I'm building up frustration with it until I say "oh to hell with it" and then diverge from vanilla Qt and WebKit. I'm currently holding out until Qt 4.6 which should be out in a month or so. If that doesn't solve some of my major grievances, it will be time for more extreme measures.

So for your first problem... yeah I don't know what to tell you. Use the Code View, that shouldn't have these problems. Just paste "</p><p>" where you want one paragraph to end and another to begin.

Also create an issue on the tracker with this, providing the step-by-step instructions to replicate it. Maybe I'm doing something stupid to mess this up, but I highly doubt it.

For your second problem... well you have a whole chapter as a paragraph, and Book View is justifying the text. Try setting it to left-justified while you work on it, it should speed up. But the problem remains, you have a whole chapter worth of text in a single <p> element. That will hurt every HTML renderer, no matter what.

You should also see massive speed-ups with this when 0.2.0 ships with the multi-flow redesign, since you'll be able to split these paragraph chapters into different XHTML files and work on them one by one. This should relieve WebKit's pain.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote