View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Social networking is an interesting one. I enjoy Goodreads and I like that I can use it to keep a record of my books, make reviews and check out others' books and opinions, and maybe make friends that way. I'm not sure how much I want that to be integrated with a reader/app/bookstore. I've never set up the social networking side on any of my devices. I do take the point about Goodreads probably launching a store soon.

I think the other thing about social networking is that it seems to promise a solution to the so-called "discoverability" problem. However my experience has been it's generally no better (nor much worse) than the other attempts to solve this problem. I don't think we're there yet on this but I think whoever first solves this problem is probably going to make a lot of money. The thing is it's really two problems - the reader wants an effective filter but the seller wants a promotional tool.

Anyway that's a big topic but I think what I'd like is a better way to discover new books that I might like given the massive over-abundance of choice, but that I don't really believe that anyone has that yet.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote