View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Pacebook tablet PC for eInk reader (frontlit or Kindle DX)

Well, now that I've got the Nexus 7, I'm not really using "Old Faithful" any longer. Since it seems like at least once a month, somebody pops up in the "What Should I Buy?" forum looking for a large-screen PDF reader, I thought I'd offer the nearly-obsolete alternative.

This is a full-blown Windows tablet computer, with a 600 MHz Transmeta Crusoe processor, Running Windows XP, Service Pack 3. It looks like this:

It has a 12" touchscreen display, which works in portrait or landscape mode (no accelerometers, you need to push a button on the bezel to switch display modes). USB 1.1 & Firewire 400. Other specs available here.

It works great as an ebook reader, especially for comics. It's life-size, or even larger! It runs Adobe Reader and ADE. The latest version of K4PC installed, but won't run. If that's important to you, I can try to find and re-install the latest version that works. Calibre, of course, runs fine, if slow.

I do not have the original vinyl case, stylus or IR keyboard, but I think I can track down the VGA-out dongle. My AC adapter is actually an IBM-branded unit (so if you're in Europe, it will work with the standard IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad 16 V output plug). Battery will last for at least 90 minutes (now), but this thing is 10 years old and the battery could give out at any time. The vendor still sells replacements.

I'd like to pick up a frontlit 6" reader (willing to wait for a Koboglo), but a Kindle DX would also get my attention.

Depending on the swap offered, I could include a PCMCIA wifi card, USB keyboard and/or USB mouse.

Now that this post is about to drop off the front page, I won't check in here as frequently. please PM me if you're interested.

P.S. This tablet is also listed on swap.com, where you can see my wishlist of other, non-eReader "stuff" that I would also be open to trading for. The link to the Pacebook is here, and the link to my swap.com wishlist is here.

Last edited by curtw; 10-14-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added swap.com link
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote