View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #115
RefUser
himself
RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PRS-T1,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I am not working on anything for ARM. An ARM port from me is not likely to happen any time soon. My main concern is that I have no experience with ARM development and would have to port nearly a dozen open-source libraries (~1 million lines of code) to ARM--no small task, and I have other priorities at the moment (like adding OCR). Finally, as cscat said, the memory use and CPU use of k2pdfopt is considerable. I think the results would typically be frustratingly slow.
I made some tests a few days ago and got about 2-3 minutes per page on a 600Mhz ARM with qemu-x86 emulation. No idea how much the emulator slows things down, but a native binary should be at least 2 times as fast (not to mention what's possible on a 1,2Ghz dual core ARM). Therefore, converting a research paper during lunch seams plausible

Did you consider releasing your program as open source software? Mupdf and it's thirdparty libraries easily compile for ARM (android, and GCC/X11 based). So if you have no time (or reason) to port it, please let others try to port/use it.
Btw: You know that Mupdf is not BSD-licensed but GPL (and you link statically)?
RefUser is offline   Reply With Quote