View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #15544
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
If anyone can begin to explain why this is so well-regarded, I'd like to hear it.
Because people are different; thank god. Different from each other and even different than they themselves were when they first read a particular book. I read this one long ago and loved it. Who knows how I'd feel about it if I read it for the first time today with all the more recent SFF I've read to judge it by. But there's only one first read. It's a complicated/strange intersection of age, philosophy, time/culture, personal experience, literary history and authorial talent that makes a book resonate with a large group of people. This one resonated with quite a few people in times past. It seems to resonate with fewer and fewer newer readers as time goes by. Go figure.

Surely this isn't the first time you've been puzzled by a book's popularity/acclaim?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote