View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Excrucibo
Excrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshesExcrucibo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 5.2.0 WiFi + 3G
Question KPW: Added Custom Screensavers via SSH, But They're Not Repeating.

Hello,

I recently added screensavers to the Kindle Paperwhite via SSH, but a strange thing is happening:

The screensavers cycle one after the other, but after the last one (bg_medium_ss18), the screen will turn off, but continue to show the main page (no screensaver, no backlight; just unresponsive).

I've had NiLuJe's screensaver hack installed in the past, but I couldn't get it to work (due to probably my messing around in SSH before that). By "messing around" I mean to say I didn't really know SSH and the hack wasn't out yet, so I learned enough (and got lucky once) to SSH and add a few custom screensavers. They showed up, and it cycled, but it also appeared to disable NiLuJe's hack. I have since uninstalled the hack and removed the linkss folder, but the above problem still persists.

Is there some script or something that I need to edit to get it to work right? I would think (if there was one), it'd just know to cycle through all screensavers located in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/.

It's not the worst thing to have to reboot after 18 power button pushes, but I'd like to figure it out.

Just to test, I replaced my 18 custom ones with the 19 stock ones, and it cycles through and repeats! This (to me) points at something wrong with the custom images, but I can find nothing wrong with any of them. They're all 1) 758x1024, 2) Grayscale, 3) .PNGs, 4) named correctly (and in order).

Is there something I'm overlooking?

My specs:

Kindle Paperwhite WiFi + 3G (No ads version)
Firmware version: 5.3.1
JBPatch version (if it matters): 3.0.0

Computer:
Windows 7 32-bit
Using the Xerox driver to make the KPW a RNDIS USB Gadget
PuTTY version: 0.62.

I also have Ubuntu 12.10 installed if it's easier to troubleshoot.

Ah, I think that's maybe all the relevant information.

Let me know if I can provide any more info, and thanks!

Last edited by Excrucibo; 01-05-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Further testing disproved the second problem so I removed it.
Excrucibo is offline   Reply With Quote