View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
jahsun13
jahsun13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX B009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
So no Duokan anymore? It's a pity.

I wanted to try the PDF improvement being the Kindle original one really poor.

Do Chinese fix this problem in your opinion? I'm not an expert so I don't know if this 3.1 firmware killed for ever any further development.

regards
I don't think it is "no Duokan" now, We just have to be careful to not install the new firmware. Does Amazon get sneaky and install without owner's control? I live out in the country with no signal and I always have wireless off anyway, so My firmware in quite old, down in the mid twos.
It is crucial that this gets fixed though(I beg the developer to find an exploit to jailbreak the 3.1.
I can't stand this proprietary game of limiting people's creativity on their devices, if we take the time make our own software, we should be able to use how we like and corporations just spitefully close the holes often for no other reason an update comes out. ( it is really a trend started by APPLE.(Jobs was always selfish, but I loved his products) I love Kindles but Amazon really dropped the ball on kindle, only old ones are good, paper-whites and the Fires suck in my opinion, dropping Text To Speech(TTS) and the big E-ink screen. I love my DXs, both of the models. I am bummed they are discontinued. I love the TTS, and am excited with the voice package that Duokan enables. anybody got a link, advice or a good hack to share for a jail broken DX?
Thanks
I wish Amazon would just not be limiting us for fears about us not listening to audiobooks if we had great Text to Speech, I still would listen, the actors are great, but many things I read will never be released as audiobooks. I also think a big e-ink touchscreen would be good, but this why we keep the hacks alive, because they are only concerned about endless growth and planned obsolescence.

PS: I doubt Amazon closed every exploit with 3.1, there is almost always a way, it may be always and we just haven't found em yet, but even with apple's best effort by going all the way to putting in NEW hardware in place of firmware and it still didn't work within a year a loophole was found around it, So that's our saving grace in these fascist times, the hackers can find a way! ( Look at Anonymous with the Federal Reserve after-all) Hurrah!

Last edited by jahsun13; 05-14-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Mispellings and bad grammar
jahsun13 is offline   Reply With Quote