View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Now my next standardization question. On the issue of FN LN vs LN, FN in author field, what works best for you folks? I don't really care what's in the black box, but I see pros and cons either way.
I'm sure you'll get people arguing for either way and I can see why having tried both. If I was just looking at a single book record, or all books by a single author, then FN LN is the most visually appealing to me, as of course it matches what is printed on the cover and how you would verbally say the name And how you would see it displayed when you go to other websites like Amazon etc.

However I actually use LN, FN format because my brain just flips out when I have multiple authors on screen so the "sort order" does not match the visual left to right reading of each cell. Tried it, hated it - just found it too slow for my eyes to have to keep scanning across to see the surname when looking through a large set of search results. If you want to "see the effect" just go to the FantasticFiction website and click on one of their "authors by letter" links - I find it damn near impossible to find an author when they are displayed FN LN.

As you say there are arguments either way, no "right" choice imho.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote