View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #48
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh yes, I know that Verizon are still a CDMA network . What I meant was why would someone sign up with Verizon when world+dog is now GSM? Is it simply that they have better coverage than GSM providers in some areas of the US?
CDMA does have better coverage in parts of the US (although not where I live). It is also used in Canada, Latin America, China, India, Japan, and a few other places in Asia. Although GSM is still the global leader by a large margin.

Another problem with GSM is (or used to be) that even the American phones might have GSM, they broadcast on different frequencies than in Europe and other places. Thus when I went to South Africa a few years ago (when I had a T-Mobile phone), I still had to rent a global phone because even though my phone was GSM and S. Africa also used GSM, my phone couldn't communicate because of the frequency difference.

I can use my iPhone in Europe with no problem - except that I need to turn off data or I'll get killed with charges..
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote