View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
You are the first one to choose plain ereader over a lighted one. Can you tell me why? I had a Kindle PaperWhite, it was a good one (how lucky I was). I recently tried a couple of Kindle PW at local BestBuy, their screen were blotchy, I decide to look for other options. Kobo Glo is not widely available, any opinion is so welcomed. Thank you.
Hi David. I don't think my post was clear that the Sony was the reader I had in the first place (for about a year), and then I bought the Glo to try out. I wanted a reader for my husband, so that we could share books, but I also needed to see if he would even enjoy using one. So I tried it out and liked it, and he also liked it. At that point I didn't think we needed two Glos plus the Sony, and the Kobo Mini promotion was coming up. So I was able to save money by keeping the Sony and getting the Mini for my daughter, instead of getting another Glo and passing the Sony to my daughter.

However, that wasn't the only reason I kept the Sony for myself. I am just used to the way it works, and reading in low-light situations hasn't been such a big deal for me. But most of all, I like how easy it is to use the Sony with Calibre. I load all of my books through Calibre, and never use the Reader store. I also like the "real" page turning buttons on the Sony - maybe more than most people because I am left-handed.

I also plan to root my Sony reader when I have some time to mess with it, and I don't know if the Glo can be rooted, or if it can be rooted as easily as the Sony. I just feel like the Sony gives me a little more control over things. I don't like to be advertised to when I'm reading, so that was a point for the Sony. Plus, I'm comfortable with it - it just suits me.

I think the Glo is better visually, no doubt - a crisper and clearer screen even with the light off. But I have had a few issues when loading books through Calibre. Nothing I couldn't figure out, but since I load books onto my own reader several times a week but only once every few weeks for my husband and daughter, it makes a difference. And there's a tactile quality to the screen that is a bit strange (kind of sandy), but I'm sure I would have gotten used to it. That quality is probably one of the reasons the Glo screen is less reflective, which is a point in favor of the Glo.

However, this is probably the most salient point for you: If I had started out with the Glo (or Paperwhite) and had to trade it for a Sony PRS-T1 or T2, I would not be happy about it. I think it would feel similar to trading an HD TV for tube television. It would seem dark and dull, and the page turns would be slow and "flashy" in comparison. But I was quite happy with the Sony before the lighted readers came out, and if Sony introduced a lighted reader with the same general feel as the PRS-T1, that would be the perfect reader for me - worth an upgrade.

Bottom line: I think the Glo and the Paperwhite are great devices. I bought my dad a PaperWhite for his birthday/Christmas (both in December) because he was already using the Amazon "ecosystem" and I didn't think he'd want to mess with file conversion. He was using the Kindle Keyboard, and he loves his new reader. If I had a good Paperwhite, I don't think I would bother trading it for a Glo - or vice versa. And if I was getting my first reader now, I would probably choose one of those over the Sony.

Sorry for the long-winded post - I hope you find your "perfect" reader!

Courtney
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote