View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Thanks for the review. The note has garnished my attention since it was introduced. I've been patiently waiting for 6mo now until Samsung will finally decide to release it here in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
The screen size is pretty good for this type of activity as is the Super Amoled screen technology. <snip...>
I can't really compare it to an eInk display never having used one for any length of time but I don't tend to read in direct sunlight anyway.
I really like Samungs SAMLOED technology. The blacks are so dark reading ebooks with night mode emit such little light. Excellent for saving battery life and not distracting the significant other with a bright screen.

Quote:
I don't have any trouble with battery life but I doubt it will compete with the eInk devices.
If I am reading for a long while I plug in the charger on a long lead and find that works for me.
I also found I had to adjust the screen time out so that I could comfortably read one page before it went blank.
Some eReading apps like Montango and Moon change the time out level when the app is in use. This is a nice features since the default timeout is unmodified thus saving battery life during nomal usage.

Quote:
The software I have settled on for the time is FBReader. I tried Aldiko but didn't like it telling me where to store my books. So, although I liked the UI on Aldiko I'm afraid it was a no go for me.
I then tried FBReader and, although it's UI isn't quite as good as Aldiko I liked the fact that it lets me decide where my books go and it seems to do all I need, at least for the time being.
Quote:
I also like the page turning animation. Somehow it makes it seem more like reading a real book.
Oh how I hate this feature. Nonsense that waste users time, but as they say different strokes

Quote:
I found it best to use the web server interface to transfer books to the android as it didn't seem to want to connect using calibres send to device function. I think that's because it doesn't show up as a drive letter on my Win 7 pc.
The browser interface works pretty well though.
Me too some apps like Montano and Moon+ have built in ODPS catalog readers so all you have to do is point your reader to your Web server's URL. Makes searching for books much easier than using the web browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
A lot of folks are recommending the Mantano reader as being the best for Android.
For sure I would say the two best readers on the market are Moon+ and Mantano. Though for me I still prefer Moon.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote