View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #112
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
That's very much what my feelings were about the Story Mind theory.

Metal Mick, in your review of Scrivener vs WriteWay, you said
Quote:
tools such as timeline, character creation (sensational in WW), and others aren't in Scrivener
The "Novel" template in Scrivener does contain character creation templates which are very useful. I've used them for a (very bad) novel I'm creating in order to assess the program. You can adapt them to your requirements and move them in the tree so that they're in a more convenient location than under "templates", which is where they are by default.

If you don't want to use the novel template, you could adapt the basics of the character development sheets and use them in your preferred format.

I haven't given WW as long as Scrivener. But I've already found it buggy. For example, copy and paste is a nightmare; unless you do edit-select all. But if you want to copy just a little of the text to another part of the work in progress, it's really difficult to select the part you want.

Another reason I'm going off WW is that it doesn't automatically remember information you've already put into the program. I was surprised that after creating characters, I had to repeat the process in the notes for the first scene. I was also dismayed that the storyboard is bare, not having remembered information already inserted into the notecards. Scrivener, on the other hand remembers everything you've already done, for example, the synopsis cards become the corkboard notes and the information in the outline. Likewise for the keywords and metadata.

I think I'm going with Scrivener, even if I have to pay for it myself!! Though I'm still debating whether to bother with Write It Now 4, which is more expensive. (Perhaps I'll cheekily ask my friends for that!)

Note: apologies for the long reply. I wrote this in "quick reply" and hadn't realised I'd written so much.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-06-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Apology and spelling error
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote