View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
politicorific
politicorific began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Progress report:

It's a week later and I've made difficult progress.
After giving up on Word I turned to writing my own xhtml files with svgs written in-line.

I attempted to preserve the layout of the book - trying to mimic every indent, italicized, bolded, word - this was dumb since the page width of the scanned book was fixed, while my browser wasn't. The first 25 pages without mathematical symbols went fine.

Then the horrors began. The svgs caused numerous problems. They looked different from browser to browser - in firefox they'd end up having an 80 pixel bottom margin and in safari about 600. The exact same SVG repeated twice in a row would look different - the lines appeared aliased, even if was repeated just 100 pixels down the page. This is troubling because I'd like to use svgs for a later project involving the same book. I also attempted to convert the first page using calibre to all three of the formats and none of them displayed the svg. Maybe making them external files would work.

So tonight I've downloaded a LaTeX editor Postext and hope to have better luck drawing the symbols with some of the addons.

Word to xhtml to LaTeX. Never expected that progression.
politicorific is offline   Reply With Quote