View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #71
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is my understanding that the Kobo Aura HD display is made by "eInk" as one complete
unit, with the eInk panel, and the IR touchscreen, and the frontlight included in the packaged unit.

Given that "eInk" has demonstrated that they can integrate a high quality frontlight
over an HD version of their B&W eInk display, How hard would it be for them to put
one together with their Triton Color display?

Luck;
Ken
Ken I was wondering if eink had already incorporated the light for kobo, because I 'd seen their technology preview videos showing a pre incorporated light guide layer on the new eink panels. I am not so sure though about ir since this seems to come from neodone, but I could be wrong. If the complete package is indeed coming from eink itself (with the weakest link imho being the ir touchscreen) then kobo it seems are just adding bad plastics, poor software and poor customer service to the package.

In terms of triton I wouldn't think it would be that hard to add a light layer there too, although I am not sure if the added colour layer which is the difference from the greyscale version, makes for one layer too many when factoring in the layer for the light too. Surely a more precise execution must be required (thinner light layer perhaps, better lamination of the various layers) so the piling up of layers doesn't end up hurting the image quality.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote