View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #32
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
Yeah, but my mom's a school teacher. She says the kids still want to be like Katniss. While I can buy the "tragic hero" lesson.. it misses.

And the movies will likely reinforce it even more in them.
The problem is looking at suffering from the outside (even a fairly intimate portrayal as in the Hunger Games) is very different than living it. For example, we don't mind that Katniss ends up with
Spoiler:
Peeta and not with Gale
because we never really got to feel the loss.

Shoot, I remember reading Ender's Game when I was 13-14, and I really wanted to be Ender....

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote