View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #138
VAharleygirl
VAharleygirl began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev M View Post
For me, the frustration isn't the absolute cost of the books. It's the price fixing that I find objectionable. I get emails almost daily with discounts and coupons and other incentives for printed books. I used to get those same sorts of deals for ebooks. Now the sellers aren't allowed to discount ebooks, but the publishers still apparently have no problem with all sorts of discounts for paper. I truly don't understand why the difference! Had the publishers done something "half way" like not allowing NYT bestsellers to sell for less than $XXX, or not allowing discounts for XX amount of time after an ebook was published, I'd have been OK with that. I've never been one who "had to" have the latest book in any format. But to simply disallow the same sorts of discounts or frequent buyer rewards that are allowed for paper just makes no sense to me.
Indeed.

I just purchased a NookColor to take with me on vacation. In addition to mis-understanding that I couldn't directly d/l non-Nook books via WiFi, I came upon the rude pricing model.

As someone w/ a annual reading habit well over $1k (if I bought every library book & kept every book that was "meh"), I buy a good chunk of PBs via coupons. Why I can save 10-60% on a Paperback book, but 0% on an eBook, I don't understand. I get 1-3 weekly coupons from one Bookstore, 1-2 a week from another; yet I can't sign up - OUR PAY - for membership to a discount club/newletter for eBooks of "current" books nor older SF books I'd love to have in my collection but don't have room on the paper-bookshelf for.

I haven't decided if I'm keeping the NookColor, due to the pricing structure for eBooks I can get from B&N, plus the hassle of d/l books to it from the ePublishers I can download to my tiny iPhone for immediate reading. I'm OK w/ no 3G, WiFi only - but let me d/l from other sites as well.
VAharleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote