View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #259
comodin
comodin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How many books did you put on your kindle? On the K4 and K5(touch), a kindle can brick if it has too many books in its collections database, filling /var/local (/dev/mmcblk0p3). If that is the problem, it is usually solved by zeroing mmcblk0p3 and rebooting. Then you need to remove some books so it does not brick again.

How many books do you have on it?

VID/PID 15a2/0052 is the USB Downloader mode. You need to run MfgTool (for windows) to use that. Then boot to diags mode and set fastboot mode from the diags exit menu (fastboot bundle). Do you have access to a windows PC to "install" fastboot mode?

After the kindle boots to fastboot, you can use any fastboot (windows, linux, or mac version), to do the rest.
thank you for your reply geekmaster.
I realize that you are doing a wonderful job here providing us with your knowledge and tips...

the thing is that, as I wrote in my previous post, my Kindle Touch doesn't show anything on the screen when I manage to use MFGTool to force diags mode, even if the application gives a positive output. Moreover, after a few seconds (sometimes just a bunch, sometimes for one minute or so) the device (or the OS/Virtual Machine) looses the connection and MFG switches back to "no device connected".
I do not have access to a windows machine but I run Win7 64bit on a virtual machine (Parallels for OSX) which works fine with any other usb device, meaning that it doesn't drop the connection.
Btw, I had something like 20 books in the KT, don't know if you consider that "too many books"...
comodin is offline   Reply With Quote