View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #38
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

Remember the Sony PRS-300 is only a 5" reader.

Sony are releasing newer more up to date models shortly. In Australia, they are rumoured to return domestically this month, but I firmly believe that Christmas or just before is the target date now. As such the PRS-300/600 models are superseded and thus are being sold fairly cheaply in preparation for the new PRS-350/650 models.

The price war, so widely reported at the end of 2009, is just starting to begin. The real beneficiaries are us, the readers.
Just a couple of thoughts on this. I read almost exclusively on a 5" reader for two years (A Jetbook), it was more than up to the task. The two strikes against the 300 that really count in my mind are the limited support for ePub (Full Justification anyone?) and a relatively small, non-expandable memory.

I agree that the price drops for the PRS-300 might be to help clean out old stock, but in the modern competitive eBook Reader market, Sony might find it very difficult to rise the price... especially if the only thing the 350 really brings to the table over the 300 is a touch screen.

Over all, I think $100 or so is about right for ereaders without wifi; regardless of whether they have 5" or 6" screens.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote