View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
OK, so basically you found just about the only ebook where the paper copy is cheaper. Release the hounds, pass the torches, etcetera etcetera.

If you look a little further, you'll notice that the newer trade paper has a list of $15 and the same cover as the Kindle edition. I.e. Tor is setting the wholesale price based on the trade edition, and Amazon apparently doesn't feel like losing $3 per copy on this particular book.

BTW I find it somewhat unlikely that Tor is blinded by money and short-term profits. Although they are owned by MacMillan, and like every other for-profit company don't want to be in the red, they're a small genre publisher, and clearly more interested in selling works they like than just "whatever they think will sell."

IMO, pirates don't have "inspirations" as much as they do "rationalizations."

If Bookstore #1 charges $3 more for the same exact book as Bookstore #2, does that "inspire," let alone justify, shoplifting? Anyone who's going to use this as an excuse to pirate the ebook was going to find some excuse anyway.

Actually I found quite a few ebooks that were more expensive than pbooks. But I just used the one I posted as an example. What would be the point of me posting 3 or 5 or 7? Then I would of heard that well so you only found X blah blah blah. But thanks for adding the drama of the torches and hounds.

I would assume everyone has inspirations. And you are probably right that the majority only rationalize. But my point that I was trying to make though wasn't about pirates it was about fence sitters (I made the pretty clear in my post). The ones that aren't pirates but don't have a strong opinions against it.

Oh and no it wouldn't inspire someone to shoplift because the person would just buy it at bookstore #2. Kind of an odd example.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote