View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #56
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But how do I then detect how many bytes there are in the trailing multibyte bytes? How can I know for sure which byte is the one giving the number of bytes? Or can you parse it in reverse order and it is not ambigious?
Right. You parse each trailing entry backwards. So if all 16 were present, you'd parse #16 at the end of the record, then #15, etc etc on through #1 last. I may have complicated understanding by on the Wiki leaving out the distinction between what I'm calling "forwards-encoded" variable-width integers and "backwards-encoded" ones. The sizes of trailing entries 2-16 are backwards-encoded variable-width integers, encoded with only the high (first) byte having bit 8 set, which means you can most easily read them backwards. So yeah -- start from the end and work backwards .

This is Calibre's current code for find the total size of the trailing entries:

Code:
def sizeof_trailing_entries(self, data):
    def sizeof_trailing_entry(ptr, psize):
        bitpos, result = 0, 0
        while True:
            v = ord(ptr[psize-1])
            result |= (v & 0x7F) << bitpos
            bitpos += 7
            psize -= 1
            if (v & 0x80) != 0 or (bitpos >= 28) or (psize == 0):
                return result

num = 0
    size = len(data)
    flags = self.book_header.extra_flags >> 1
    while flags:
        if flags & 1:
            num += sizeof_trailing_entry(data, size - num)
        flags >>= 1
    if self.book_header.extra_flags & 1:
        num += (ord(data[size - num - 1]) & 0x3) + 1
    return num
HTH!
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote