View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Thank you for the reply jackie_w, I know this is not the only bug, but luckily it's the only one annoying me, more luckily it's rare because such long paragraphs are rare. I can confirm that on the sony reader the rendering of long paragraphs is fine.
What I was trying to say is that sometimes, with some epubs, all these issues/settings seem to combine to give the pagebreak-in-wrong-place problem.

For instance, since my last post, I came across an example in my current book. At the end of a chapter there is a short 3-line paragraph. It begins on line 3 of the screen and should finish on line 5. However, line 5, for some unknown reason, has been pushed to a new screen containing one word only! If I adjust the font-size up/down a notch there is no problem at all.

I have seen similar, but infrequent, problems with every reader model I've ever owned (Sony PRS505/650/350/T1 PocketBook 360 and Kobo Glo) so now I just shrug and turn the page, where usually everything is fine again. Life's too short to get worked up about it (for me, anyway )

Another anecdote... last week I copied a rather nice weighty font to my PRS350 because it looked so good on the Kobo. When I opened my book (exact same epub as the one on the Kobo) it was practically unreadable because I was only getting half-filled screens on every page turn. That's not much text on a 5" device. All my other fonts work fine with that epub on the PRS350.

If someone can track down exactly why page formatting fails I'll be very happy, but at the moment there seems to be too many variables. The widows/orphans to zero definitely helps most of the time -- but it's not a cure.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote