View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #53
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
"PCs and printers" -- why are aren't community centers providing this service?
Community centers? I'm not aware of them, unless you mean membership organizations which charge significant fees, like the YMCA or Jewish Y. Some of them were founded as settlement houses with a social work mission, but at least around here they are now more into athletics.

Quote:
"resumes and jobs" -- why isn't the unemployment office providing this service?
I'm sure there are government executives in the county unemployment offices who would love to expand their facilities and build branches, at great expense to the taxpayer. I would use what exists.

Quote:
we should combine public libraries, public schools, community centers, and unemployment offices into one massive government agency.
Sounds expensive and, in the case of community centers, a massive government intrusion into the private sector.

And current school security standards, which are impractical to change, forbid people from the community just walking in.

However, I will make one comment that could sound more like from your side of the street. I don't see how there is such a thing as a "design life" for a library, as claimed by the St. Louis library chief. I can't believe Andrew Carnegie's architect designed the libraries to last a century and for it then to be cheaper to tear down and rebuild than to replace the roof.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote