View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
Hi Baz.

The MsoNormal & SGC-1 thing....they are basically the same thing. The MsoNormal is just the style imported from a basic paragraph in a word doc. SGC-1 is the inherant Sigil style for an indented para. Most people import from word, that's why the kwik guide refers to Mso.

The BR tag thing...if you are going to mobi then these will all be ignored during conversion, that is why we use   (Ironically, mobi conversion creates br tags. I know it's a mind-@*%$) As for the usage, here is a snippet from a well formed epub ready to convert. It shows: end of paragraph, paragraph break/new scene, and the start of the next set of paragraphs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<p class="MsoNormal">‘He’d better remember I’m the professional and he’s the student,’ muttered Stephen as he struggled after her with their luggage.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>

<p class="MsoNormal">After a short......(it goes on and ends as above, all paras should be as the first one above. Without the nbsp tag they will all run on, as in any normal book.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As and epub, or after conversion via Calibre, it will apear as...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘He’d better remember I’m the professional and he’s the student,’ muttered Stephen as he struggled after her with their luggage.

After a short......(it goes on)
________________________________(with indents, post removed them.)

The nbsp tag within <P> tags is read as a new paragraph with nothing in it, this a blank line/paragraph break. It will work for any place where you want a blank line.

If you are authoring with Sigil you will encounter some differences. I know it sounds like a pain when you have obviously made a lot of progress in Sigil, but might I suggest you copy and past your chapter files back into word or wordpad, set it up as you want it and re-input back into Sigil. That will, most likely, sort most of your "gremilins". Going from epub to mobi is a fickle thing at the best of times, that is why you'll hear most folk cry "Simple is best".

Hope that helps and didn't just confuzzle you more...

Last edited by Whackatagin; 01-26-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Indents didn't carry across to post, sorry.
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote