View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Great, that's what I thought it was. This is the wrong solution to this problem and I'd like to write some code to fix it properly. I think it's a simple fix and can be an easy hack for me to get involved with more calibre development.

The problem here is that calibre needs to own the folder where the files reside. The fix is simple. When creating a new library, calibre should prompt for the library name in addition to the location that it already asks for. Then it should create a sub-directory with the library name and use that for the library.

This is the correct course of action because it (1) prevents the user from pointing calibre at an existing directory with files in it and (2) does the right thing for the user by creating an empty directory and saves them work. Not removing the files when removing the library places more work on the user. The user should not do work that the computer can do. The computer should serve the user.

I looked in calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs and choose_library.ui which appears to be the GUI details for that dialog. Is there a tool for editing this dialog or is one expected to edit it by hand?
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote