Thread: Formating
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I was just wondering if a E-pub converted to MOBI and read on the Kindle is any good? From a format/margin/font stand point? Has anyone had any problems with that? I had Calibre in mind as the converting tool. Has anyone tried this out?
I've converted a large number using Calibre and rarely have I encountered any real problems.

Occasionally, there are problems with margins, almost always the fault of a poorly formated ePub and relatively easily fixed in Sigil if Calibre's "Ignore Margins" conversion option fails to fix the issue. Also, while ePub supports text wrapping around an image, the Kindle's Mobipocket format doesn't. Usually a simple conversion is fine, but occasionally the ePub's layout can be improved in Sigil and then reconverted.

The other issue I encounter occurs most often in auto-generated ePubs (e.g. Project Gutenberg and ManyBooks) which don't break the ePub's various (x)html files in logical places. If you massage the ePub in Sigil to join chapters split in the middle, break the files into chapters, and set the chapter headings using HTML heading tags (eg. <h1>, <h2>, ...) the resulting Calibre conversion will have proper chapter breaks, both in terms of visual formatting and activation of the Kindle's chapter jump using the 4-way controller.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote