View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You are confusing dpi (dots per inch) with ppi (pixels per inch).

Laserprinters (and film imagesetters, for that matter) produce on/off dots, not pixels with shades of grey. When reproducing continuous tone images (like photographs) to get the same effect as 16-greys 166ppi eink screen you'd need a 600+dpi laser printer.

Of course, if you're not producing continuous tone images, the higher resolution is more important. Personally, I'd rather have a black/white 600dpi eInk screen than a 16-grey 166dpi eInk screen, but that's not an option yet.
I see it the way you do.

Apart from illustrations, I personally do not need many more colours than white and black for reading ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote