View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
rplantz
rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer A500
This thread is a little old, but it addresses exactly my problem. I have written a 500+ page highly technical textbook with many code listings, circuit diagrams, etc., in LaTeX. I would like to make it more accessible by creating an ePub version. Current converters crash around chapter 2.

I currently have two sets of page layouts that produce two pdf versions, one for double-sided 8-1/2 x 11 printing, the other for ereading (uniform, very small margins). I have managed to keep pagination synced between the two versions. But I believe that ePub is a better ereader solution.

So I am trying to determine the best toolchain for producing both an ePub and a print version of the book. I know that O-Reilly does this with many of their books. Their toolchain is discussed by Adam Witwer at http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/262...077&#entry5077.

I'm beginning to think that I should convert the primary source of my book to docbook. I think that may provide the best chances for producing both an ePub and a print version that are very similar in appearance.

BTW, I wrote the original versions of the book in html in 1999, thinking that students would like to read it online. They used up the printing resources in our labs, printing copies of the web pages. Now most of them prefer ereading on their mobile devices. I shoulda left it in html!
rplantz is offline   Reply With Quote