View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #56
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Speaking of GPS, what GPS tech do these device use? Actual Navstar-type sat receivers? Or some terrestrial network-based system?
That is, will the GPS work in the middle of the ocean, with no cell towers or wifi?
If so do they require a view of the sky, or will they use a terrestrial system when indoors and such, even if they are not actually signed into a wifi network?
From what I call tell from the specs I can find, the samsung gtabs use AGPS (assisted gps) recievers. They are satalite recievers and will work (and find your location with the appropriate app ) anywhere. The assist comes from wifi, and is used only to speed up the initial lock. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS. You can also get apps that will update "stale" GPS data to get a faster lock. They do need a view of the sky with no metal in between, I can use mine in my house, but not at work. My Acer A100 works great in both my cars below dash level (out of the sun ).

I believe that you need to be signed into a network to be able to use WiFi positioning (ala Google Maps), at least I've never come across an app that stores maps on your device, but uses known Wifi networks for positioning.

I use Copilot and it looks like they've added a free 2d version. Copilot free
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote