View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Smile Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Thinking of getting my feet wet on some ebook creation. Figured I'd start with some editing. I have some non-DRM, public domain files I can play with.

So, how is the learning curve on Sigil?
I had downloaded it a while back before the current developer took over, but I gave up and uninstalled it, as I'm not a programmer, nor am I particularly familiar with HTML coding; I just want to be able to fix my ebooks. Well tonight I just had to massage a badly massacred public-domain book, so I decided to try the current version of Sigil.

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at how easily I was able to do what I wanted to do, mostly via the WYSIWYG view. I simply opened the file and started working -- it was obvious and easy to do search and replace, which went so well that I then went on to make things prettier, as well. On one stubborn heading, I went into the code view and simply copied a similar heading to get all the coding right, and voila!

I had already used Calibre's lovely new utility for the TOC and ended up having to fix some of the broken links from my efforts in Sigil, but that was no big deal (back in Calibre). Next time, I'll explore how Sigil does the TOC, but Calibre makes it so easy that I just fixed it there.

So I'm a new fan and am very pleased with Sigil's usability for someone not a programmer or web developer.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote