View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Can't disagree there. I did actually vote in each of the polls, but I'm beginning to think that this book club is much more about discussing voting methodology and the validity or otherwise of monthly themes than about discussing the books themselves.

Hopefully, the suggestion that whatever sticks now is locked in for the next year actually holds true and we can go back to being a book club again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Speaking of being a book club, did anyone read A Canticle for Leibowitz? I read it, and enjoyed it. It's still relevant to us in 2011. But now, a month after reading it, I find I don't have much to say about it.

Only 6 people have posted in the discussion thread.

Well looking at the November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote I observe that A Canticle For Leibowitz accrued 12 votes; I was not one of these. Looking at the subsequent discussion thread for this book 2 out of these 12 have actually participated in the discussion so far; ~17% . Looking at the other 59 who voted I am the only one to have made any comments. The other comments so far have come from people who did not vote.

So what to say about this? Are people only inclined to participate when their book is selected? Is the 'horse race' of more interest than actual participation? Are these monthly polls and selections of more interest to many in what the polls and polling discussion say about what sort of books people here are reading than actually reading the book and/or participating in the discussion?

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.