View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was its original purpose? - the 'thank you' that DaleDe mentioned or something else?
Probably the thanks as mentioned, either as a "thank you for helping me solve this problem" or "thank you for contributing this nice resource to the site" kind of thing.

I know that my personal Karma seems to break down into 75% having posted free book notices, 15% having posted some overly long wall o'text "answer" which apparently turned out to be not entirely useless to the recipient, 5% having linked some informative external site, and 5% having made a remark the giver found funny/seemingly random uncommented reasons I can't even begin to fathom.

Which reminds me, I need to go give Karma to someone in the Sony forum who went above and beyond to help a guy get his stuff back after Sony CS deleted his entire Reader Library install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Or there would be fights over who could create the highest karmic post.
That was kind of the idea, yes*.

It would possibly give an added bonus to reading certain posts if you could also read what people were specifically moved to comment that they thought about the post/poster itself (as opposed to just regular replies).

Of course, that might make people shy or inhibited about commenting when they give Karma, so maybe there would be a spate of "No comment" mystery Karma that people would then wonder why they received, and how to go about recreating the conditions that awarded it if they were ambitious that way.

Either way:

* We have poor broadcast TV reception in my area. I have to make my own entertainment.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote