View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
(And I have now bought no less than six books from major publishers which prohibit font changes entirely by forcing an explicit font on every paragraph. It was really *helpful* of Amazon to enable publishers to arse around like that.)
This isn't really Amazon's fault; but they could have ignored inline styles of course.

This is the reason why I buy EPUBs only. I use Modify Epub in Calibre to kill all custom fonts in all books at once (when I buy a series), and then I go through them one by one, removing "font-family" from the CSS. Should a publisher use style="font-family: blabla;" in each paragraph, I can kill that with a search and replace, or a regular expression, if need be.

Designers are going through the same things they went through when the internet got mainstream, and that's learning that printed content is not the same as digital content.

Setting fonts, margins, line spacing and sizes in an e-reader is there for a reason: to enable the user to read a book like they want to. If you inhibit this functionality, you're aggravating your users/readers with your design instead of pleasing them.

Website designers (almost) got their head around that, but book designers / publishers didn't.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote