View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #93
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
A desktop OS introduces a lot of overhead for non-work uses: addtional boot time
Fast boot times are definitely overrated. My Windows 7 box, which is on old hardware and not at all tuned, is up and running (to desktop, background loading stuff finished so that it becomes fully responsive) in about 45s. Plenty fast enough. Wake up/get home, flip on the computer, go to the bathroom, start a coffee, put away the groceries, whatever, and it's ready by the time you're actually going to sit down to use it.

My Kobo Arc's up and running (to the point where wi-fi's connected) in like 35s - but it generally feels *slower* to boot since a tablet (or an ereader - and my Touch takes almost a full minute to boot, which can be intolerable!) is portable by nature and you're usually going to have your tablet with you when you boot it up (you end up waiting for *it* instead of it being ready for you when you're ready to use it) and want to use it immediately, while you're doing other stuff (morning ablutions, getting coffee, whatever).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote