View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Possible, yes. Difficult, yes. In fact, difficult enough where I am not going to attempt it. You can get equivalent functionality by creating a composite column that mirrors the bool column, marking it as shown in tag browser, then hiding the column so it takes no space in the library view.
Thanks for the tip. Nevertheless, this has an undesirable side effect. Now your shown column is the "templated" one. So you can't change the "Yes/No/No value" directly from the main table view. When you click on the "templated" Yes/No icon you open the Template editor.

Nevertheless a minor possible tweak in . As you say, probably it's not worth the coding effort at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As a) this too is difficult with lots of internal ramifications, b) I have no personal use for it, and c) as it can be done with templates at the cost of having a second column, I will leave it to some other developer.
As you say I supposed it is really difficult.

Nevertheless, I feel it would be a really useful feature at least for Translator(s)-like fields (or "Editor(s), or "Cover Artist(s)", or "The friend(s) who bought me the book", or whatever).

Unless you can give a really, REALLY good hint, I feel the template coding can be really painful because you have to:
  • Replicate the sorting by family name behaviour. I feel it can be more or less easily replicable using two added columns (one for the name, and the second one for the sorted name).
  • Replicate the & behaviour. Author(s) is not exactly just a "Text" field, because it knows that "J.R.R. Tolkien & Christopher Tolkien" are in fact two people, I mean, two "Text fields" merged together. (And also that "A & B & C" are not two but three people...)
    As you can imagine I'm no expert, but replicating this behaviour feels like a HUGE PITA, because you can't use a fixed number of additional columns.

I do agree that the title-like behaviour doesn't worth the effort just to achieve an automatic conversion/sorting from "A good book" to "good book, A".

Nevertheless, you are the coders of a freeware/donationware software, so obviously, you freely decide when, how or where you spend your coding efforts.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote