Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #69
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I also still believe you need to have the device power off, not just sleep, to get the long battery life we expect from an e-ink device.
Well, I don't know.
On my new Kobo Mini, I have that:
- fully charged on Monday evening, so 4 days of use
- since then, I read for 7 hours
- 673 page turns
- sleeping all the time I'm not reading, never turned off since the charge
- WIFI always off, except yesterday to search and load a free book from Kobo store
- looking up some words in the dictionary and highlighting them for future reference
- reading only one book and going once in a while to the "reading life" part to check reading time in regard of the battery
- battery is 82%

So this is not a Glo and it doesn't have a light, but it tells me that I don't need to turn it off to have more than a week worth with one charge. Actually, I'm reading a book which was originally a .mobi file. There are some formatting issues, so the space between lines is quite huge. That means that I'm turning pages more often than I should be doing.
The biggest drop in the battery percentage was when using the WIFI (obviously).
Prior to that, when using the Sony 650, which doesn't have any wireless capacity, I was averaging 2 weeks on half a charge without turning it off (but I can't tell for sure how many pages I was turning/how long I was reading).
Don't forget that powering up a device uses a lot of power.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote