View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #46
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I think there are two parts to this. 1) what kind of eReader to make to draw in new readers and 2) how to keep people reading (dedicated readers can ignore this one, I suppose).

I think front lighting is so important that all eReaders should have it. Different sizes of front lighted screens is a big step ahead, especially a 5-inch model that can sync with the manufacturer's larger models like a cell phone app. The idea is to target the $50-$80 price to bring in people who aren't sure they want to read that much, and make it so convenient to use that they will use it. 5-inch eReaders are light and easily pocketable.

I think the literature has to be rethought so as to use this technology to draw the interest of younger readers. Amazon started things with their "shorts," brief pieces that cost $1-$3 dollars. Try to get the publishers to unbundle some of the anthologies. I'm thinking of things like publishing Stephen King's novella (or short novel, I won't argue) called Everything's Eventual as a short. George RR Martin's short story Sand Kings is another that comes to mind, but there are lots more. Work on providing writers a good market for short fiction again.

Help new readers out.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote